PROGRAMMES AND PROJECTS
- ACTRIS RI PROJECT (Aerosol, Clouds and Trace Gases Research Infrastructure Network)
Main objective: The strategic aim of ACTRIS is to secure long-term coordinated aerosol, cloud and trace gas observations and ACTRIS services in Europe and to guarantee sustainable resources and feasible governance for ACTRIS operations both at national and European level through an internationally competitive European ACTRIS Research Infrastructure (RI).
- ACTRIS-2 (2016–2019)
Main objective: Interlink state-of-the-art ground stations for long-term observation of aerosols, clouds and reactive gases. The project provides access to collected data that are acquired at the highest quality owing to standardized and comparable measurement techniques across the entire network of stations. An important goal is to increase the level of technology and the quality of the services provided. The aim of the project is also to support training of staff and users and to strengthen the link between research, education and innovation in the field of atmospheric science.
- ACTRIS PPP (Preparatory Phase Project, 2017–2019)
Main objective: ACTRIS Preparatory Phase Project (PPP) will have a significant role in enabling the transition from a project-based network of research facilities to a centrally coordinated integrated pan-European RI. ACTRIS PPP brings together a wide community of research performing organizations, research funding organizations and ministries needed to take the decisions and actions to move forward in the implementation of the ACTRIS. The main objectives of ACTRIS PPP are to develop the organizational, operational and strategic frameworks of the RI. The work includes legal, governance, financial, technical, strategic, and administrative aspects carried out in 9 work packages.
- ACTRIS-IMP (ACTRIS Implementation project, 2020–2023)
The overarching objective of ACTRIS IMP is to coordinate and accomplish the actions required for implementing a globally-recognized long-term sustainable research infrastructure with operational services by 2025. ACTRIS IMP builds on the achievements of the successful ACTRIS PPP and on the scientific and technical deliveries of the ACTRIS-2 and EUROCHAMP-2020 projects. The ACTRIS IMP project objectives are based on the overall ACTRIS implementation phase objectives. Moreover, the ACTRIS IMP project will elevate ACTRIS to a new level of maturity and will set the required coordinated structures for coherent implementation actions, to be performed at both the national and European level.
- ACTRIS-CZ LRI (2016–2019)
Main objective: Support further development of the ACTRIS-CZ Research Infrastructure, the Czech national node of the ACTRIS (Aerosol, Clouds and Trace Gases Research Infrastructure Network) pan-European research infrastructure. The ACTRIS-CZ RI project is aimed at modernizing and expanding the equipment of this infrastructure located at the Košetice National Atmospheric Observatory, enhancing its personnel capacity and deepening international cooperation within the ACTRIS European infrastructure.
- ACTRIS-CZ LRI2 (2020–2022)
Main objective: To modernize and expand the instrumentation of the ACTRIS-CZ research infrastructure located at the National Atmospheric Observatory Košetice. The ACTRIS-CZ RI 2 project is focused on expanding the scope and increasing the number of users of the research infrastructure, and increasing the level of scientific information provided by the infrastructure.
- EMEP (European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme) — under CLRTAP (Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution)
Main objective: Provide reliable scientific evidence to support, develop and evaluate environmental protection policies. The current monitoring strategy puts greater emphasis on the impact of climate change projections on air quality and monitoring of greenhouse gases, and reflects developments in monitoring technologies and the integration of measurements from different platforms (ground measurements, vertical profiles, and flight, distant and satellite measurements).
- ICP-IM (International Cooperative Programme on Integrated Monitoring of Air Pollution Effects on Ecosystems) — under CLRTAP (Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution).
Main objective: The multi-component monitoring program examines flows of substances in small forested basins in a non-impacted area. At present, ICP-IM's interest has expanded to the environmental impacts of tropospheric ozone, heavy metals and POPs.
- ICOS-RI (Integrated Carbon Observation System Research Infrastructure) integrates atmosphere, ecosystem and ocean greenhouse gas observations to provide timely and reliable data for research, policy making, and the general public. ICOS RI brings together high quality European national research communities and measurement stations and, through coordination and support, constitutes a European-wide research infrastructure that serves both scientists and society.
- GAW (Global Atmosphere Watch) under WMO (World Meteorological Organization)
Main objective: Link and join activities in the field of atmospheric research and monitoring in order to increase awareness of the impact of human activity on global changes in the air, and climate change.
- GAPS (Global Atmosphere Passive Sampling Network)
Main objective: Provide comparable data on persistent organic pollutants (POPs) on a global scale. Through passive sampling, it helps determine spatial and temporal trends, tests and identifies new chemical substances in the air, and contributes to assessments of long-range transport on a regional and global scale.
- MONET (POPs Passive Air Monitoring Network)
Main objective: Long-term observation of spatial and temporal trends of POPs distribution in the environment, study the long-range transport of these substances and fulfil the obligations of the Czech Republic resulting from international treaties.